Help us Save and Preserve the Basilica as our Cathedral Church
Please donate to help the Basilica Heritage Foundation purchase the Basilica Cathedral.
All church properties of the Archdiocese of St. John’s are being sold by the court-appointed Trustee in Insolvency to compensate the victims of Mount Cashel. The Basilica Heritage Foundation has joined with St. Bonaventure’s College Inc. and the St. Bon’s Forum Corp. to submit a joint bid on the Basilica Block.
- To see the size and extent of the block, click here.
- In order to donate, for smaller amounts (under $1000) simply donate online and a tax receipt will be issued.
- For amounts over $1000, please download, print and complete a Donation Commitment. This document commits you to donating to help purchase the Basilica and refers to the BHF’s Escrow Agreement with our legal counsel, Stewart McKelvey, which will either
- A) disburse donated funds at the time we are notified that our bid to purchase the Basilica has been successful, and the BHF will issue a tax receipt, or
- B) will return the funds to you in the event that we are not.
Once you have completed the agreement, please bring it and your cheque to the Basilica Parish Office before 1 June, and if possible, kindly provide a money order or certified cheque so that we may make the June deadline without a hold placed on personal cheques.
In 2018-2020, funds raised by the Foundation enabled us to contribute more than $855,000 to the restoration of the Basilica’s beautiful historic stained glass windows. The foundation’s overall aim is to raise an additional $6,000,000 to restore the remaining windows and do related necessary restorations, including the upper and lower windows of the Basilica. Your donation will ensure the preservation of this beautiful world class treasure, a significant part of Canada’s and Newfoundland and Labrador’s history and heritage.
As an Independent Registered Charitable Foundation, donations are tax-deductible within Canada. Receipts will be issued. Thank you for your support!